BRITANNIA AQUEDUCT HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Aqueduct, Dawley Castle and Lightmoor Walk
This walk traces the western arm of the canal from the Aqueduct, through Little Dawley and on to Lightmoor.
Commencing from the Britannia Inn, originally built as a Chartermasters House in the 1840s, turn north along Aqueduct Road.
On the right is Fosters Row, seven rows of four houses built in the 1840s. Further along is St. Paul’s Church built in 1851. Opposite St. Paul’s Church is Chapel Lane, where in the 1840s four rows of houses were built, presumably for the people working at Aqueduct Bank.
At the Junction of Chapel Lane and Aqueduct Road is the site of a railway bridge, which once crossed over the main road from Wellington to Bridgnorth, the A442. Continue along the path to the left of the Silkin Way, which is the course of the original A442, to the Aqueduct, built in 1792 by John Lowdon to carry the western branch of the Shropshire Canal, over the road. The route of the canal was surveyed by William Reynolds.
Proceed under the Aqueduct, then turn left then right, along the path from the Aqueduct which follows the course of the original canal. Follow the path, turning left away from the canal and cross Castlefields Way.
Turn left into Majestic Way, then right into Pageant Drive. This is the site of Botany Bay Colliery. Take the first turning left following the path to Castle Pool. The path to the left of Castle Pool follows the line of the canal towpath, which will be the return route.
Take the right footpath then first left around the right side of the pool and straight on to the mound. On top of the mound can he found remains of the Castle Ironworks which commenced operation in 1810.
In front of the mound is the site of Dawley Castle. A section of stonework at the front of the mound may be from the castle. Continue around the pool then turn left over the bridges which follow the line of a tramway built to service the Ironworks.
Turn right following the path past Dandy Pool. This is the line of a tramway which led to the Coalbrookdale Ironworks. On the left is the site of a possible motte dating back to the Norman era.
Upon reaching Widewaters Pool take the right fork which was the original canal embankment and towpath. The left fork is the tramway.
Continue along the towpath where there is a section of canal restored by Dawley Hamlets Parish Council, eventually reaching the “Tub Boat Bridge”.
Retrace your steps turning sharp right at the first junction to reach the top of the “Tub Boat Bridge”. Follow the line of the tramway to the left. (Towards Lightmoor).
The pools on the right are all that remains of the Lightmoor furnace site. Continue to a “T” junction then turn left. This is the course of the Wellington and Severn Junction Railway which opened in 1858.
Follow the course of the railway to where a path crosses near to a stile on the right. At this point turn left. This is the line of another tramway which can be followed to the Ironbridge Way, which was also a tramway.
Turn left along the Ironbridge Way, eventually returning to Dandy Pool. A clear view of the castle motte can be seen on the return journey following the right side of the pools back to Pageant Drive.
Alternatively it is possible upon reaching the Ironbridge Way, to turn right instead of left, taking the left fork for the subway under the Ironbridge bypass to visit Madeley Court via Rough Park Way.